What is CE Marking?
CE marking is a conformity evaluation and marking system developed for the goods’ free circulation. CE stands for “Conformité Européen” in French and it means “European Conformity”.
CE marking is related with the products included in the new directives adapted in 1985 within the scope of technical regulations adaptation of the European Union. It is a Union marking showing that the products conform to the relevant directive(s) of the European Union and that such products have undergone all conformity evaluations.
If a product bears a CE marking;
If meas that all the basit requirements for
- Protection of consumer
Have been fulfilled and such a product is allowed to circulated freely within the EU countries without any restrictions. CE marking is a technical passport in a sense.
In the directives issued within the scope of new approach policy, the description of the product, ay risks, minimum safety conditions required, conformity assessment procedures are specified in detail.
CE marking does not provide the consumer with a quality assurance, however, it shows that the product has minimum safety conditions. CE marking shows that the product is safe in one hand and serves as a kind of passport during circulation from a country to another in the other hand. Under the new approach policy, predetermined products must bear CE marking in order t o enter any EU country.
FUNDAMENTALS OF AFFIXING AND USING CE CONFORMITY MARKING
If a product is subject to multiple regulations in terms of affixing a CE marking, it means that the CE conformity marking conforms to the provisions of all the applicable technical regulations related with the product.
CE CONFORMITY MARKING
- The marking consists of CE letters, at least 5 mm high, unless otherwise stated in technical regulations.
- It may be made smaller or larger without change in ratios and shape.
- It is affixed to the product or date plate. In case that it is not possible due to product shape, it may be affixed to the label, package and, if there is a document with the products, to that document.
- It should be visible, readable and permanent.
- CE conformity marking is affixed at the end of production control stage.
- In the cases that the relevant technical regulation requires, the identity record number of the notified organization approved by the Commission should be put near the CE conformity marking.
- In the case that the use properties of certain products are to be stated, a pictogram or a sign of use category may be put after the CE marking and the identity number of the notified body.
- Any other marking which may mislead third parties about the meaning and shape of CE marking may not be affixed to the product.
PRODUCT GROUPS TO WHICH CE MARKING MUST BE AFFIXED
- Low voltage equipment
- Simple pressure containers
- Construction materials
- Electromagnetic compatibility
- Personal protective equipment
- Non-automatic scales
- In-vivo reactive medical devices
- Gas burning apparatus.
- Efficiency requirements for hot water boilers
- Civil-use explosives
- Medical devices
- Equipment used in explosive environments
- Pressure containers
- Telecommunication terminal equipment
- In-vitro diagnostic medical devices
- Journey – purpose boats.
- The products covered by radio and telecommunication terminal equipment directives.